Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dry Sink

[August 7 2010 013[6].jpg]

Hi all! I had some questions about a ‘dry sink’. A dry sink is simply a place used to hold dirty dishes and a wash pan filled with water in order to wash the dishes. It is usually a free-standing piece of furniture that is not hooked up to a water supply or drain. It was used quite often during the 19th century in the United States. (this is a photo from my Koch Cabin post). Thanks to everyone for visiting, asking questions and leaving wonderful comments. I really appreciate you sharing your time with me!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm interesting. Very innovative back in the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so spoiled. All I could think of was how I would hate to not have running water.

    Neat picture. Very rustic yet their sink and chairs are such bright, pretty colors. I wonder if they were like that back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine having to do dishes that way! I've heard of dry sinks, but that's the first time I've seen what one actually looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of them, but I guessed that was what it was for! Thanks for the explanation!

    ReplyDelete

 

 

Blog Directory for Minnesota