Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Foolin' the old lady!

Taking care of my grandson can often be fun as well as tiring. He is full of energy on even a bad day. Today he came with a cold developing and was very tired in the morning. He took quite a long nap and is now currently sitting in a chair biting his own foot. He has munched on me twice today, not hard either time and with his eyes on me the whole time to watch for a reaction. Neither of times were the reaction favorable, but I could tell he was pulling his punches and this was just a test. Much of the day with him is a test, he continuously tries things that he knows is a 'no-no' just to see what I will do (I or other of his authority figures).

We had been over to a Target to get some mailers this afternoon, then stopped by a park to swing - he declared it 'hot' with a hand wave and that he was done, with another wave of his hands. So we left to go back to the car and go home. Once home we played with water, bubbles, and then side walk chalk. When we are playing bubbles, most of the time he stands around yelling 'bubble bubble bubble' while I am running up and down our driveway making bubbles or trying to blow them so they are all in his reach...ummm not that he actually reaches for them so much. He does do it some and begs me to do bubbles to no end, but then ignores them much of the time, until it is time to stop.

One of the little tricks he had going on this afternoon was with one of his toys called the 'Ball Popper'. It started after a rousing swing in the park, a round of bubbles and scribbling with sidewalk chalk then it was time to come inside. Being 93 degrees outside, we were both tired from the heat (okay - mostly *I* was tired). He didn't stop at all. First there was the extremely stinky pants (big job alert!) and putting his completely chalked up clothes in the wash and listening to him being all upset because the bag to his megablocks were zipped and he couldn't pour them out over his head. I finally sat down after he got interested in a book and when I did, he started playing with the ball popper. I was playing with him off and on, holding my hand over the air/ball exit hole to make the balls pop out even higher. Pretty soon some were under the couch. All upset about that he started getting a bit frustrated so I said, "just say 'help Gramma'". So he says 'elb Mammaw' so I got down on my hands and knees digging out the balls from under the couch..it was at about the 3rd time that I noticed he was actually putting the balls under the couch on purpose then calling me for help. I got them out again and warned him I was on to his little tricks. From now on a ball laid would be a ball that stayed. And now there are balls under my couch. He is not happy and I am wondering if that is why he is playing with all of his musical 'sound' toys at once now.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Blog Directory for Minnesota