Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An 18 Month Old 's Equivilent of A Mexican Standoff

At lunch today my grandson was doing very well with eating and things were going on pretty smoothly until we got to the 18 month old's version of a Mexican Stand Off. Throwing the cup of milk because he wanted down, instead of just telling me he was 'all done' he decided he would do no such thing and there was nothing I could say or do that would change his mind. In the end he wound up back in his bed (crib), where I removed everything....his blankets, stuffies and so on, so he could have a little time to himself 'thinking' about his actions. We are pretty geeky here and have a video camera mounted in his room, as well as a baby monitor to keep tabs on him when we are not up there and he is *supposed* to be sleeping. There are nets made for his crib that form teething pads on top and secure the spaces between the bars of the crib.

I watched him party hardy up there, removing the nets from the rails (now they will just stay off), and rocking and rolling that crib across the floor until he got it over to the chair I had laid the blankies and stuffed toys on. It was pretty astounding to me how he figured it all out and managed to pull the blankies through the bars of the crib from the chair and back into his grasp. Grammy, here, huffed it back up the stairs and caught him pretty much by surprise with the goods in his hot little hands. I say, "What are you doing?" He looks at me and starts trying to put the nets back up onto the rails saying "Uh-Oh." Like it was an accident that they were off the rails. (It was pretty hard to keep from laughing..but I managed). We then had another conversation that lead to him getting out of his little prison and moved on to Target where he was just absolutely perfect in every way. He even carried the little bag back to the car for me.
Wish I could have taped the gyrations he went through in that crib to get it over to the chair though, that was just priceless to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

 

Blog Directory for Minnesota